1 hour, 30 minutes
An Italian favourite!
6veal shank ((piece); about 2 inches in diameter)
1 cupwhite wine
1 cupbeef broth
1⁄2 cuponion (finely chopped)
1 canplum tomatoes (28 oz (828 mL) can)
1⁄4 cupcelery (finely chopped)
1⁄4 cupcarrot (finely chopped)
1 tablespoonlemon peel (chopped)
1⁄4 cupparsley (finely chopped)
- Combine 2 cloves garlic, lemon zest and parsley to make the gremolata
- Melt butter in large casserole dish and sauté vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Dredge veal in flour.
- Heat oil in skillet and brown veal on all sides in hot oil.
- Remove veal from pan and add to casserole.
- Remove excess fat from skillet and deglaze with white wine.
- Pour juices over veal.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, garlic and basil to casserole dish.
- Cover and simmer for 1+1/2 hours or until it is tender.
- Remove veal and place on heated platter.
- Spoon off any visible fat from sauce.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour sauce over shanks.
- If desired, combine finely chopped garlic, lemon zest and parsley to make gremolata. Sprinkle the veal with gremolata or serve them separately.